Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Taking Leave, Trusting God

Lord, the newness of this day
calls me to an untried way.
Let me gladly take the road,
give me strength to bear my load.
Thou my guide and helper be,
Let me travel through with Thee.
- Henry Van Dyke, “A New Day Prayer”

I am leaving Shepherd of the Valley. Leave-taking is hard. It requires leave-making. Part of my leave-making is making sure you understand why I am taking my leave.

First, let me offer assurance that things continue to go well at SOTV. I have nothing but positive experiences to report to you about my years at SOTV. Certainly there have been challenges to face but that is normal. A human organization that deals with the most important aspects of our lives – love, God’s purposes for us, our relationships – will always present such challenges. They are a small minority of what this work and calling are about. I have enjoyed the best of pastoral colleagues, the most dedicated and competent of staffs, the most devoted and gifted volunteers imaginable, and a wonderful community in which to serve. And all that will continue here after I’m gone.

It may sound odd, but all that means is this is a good time to take my leave. Shepherd of the Valley is on track to do some amazing things in the future and I’m leaving at a time when God has much more for me to do as well. The energy and the enthusiasm are high for the congregation and for me. God continues to bear good fruit through the people of this congregation. Seeds for an even better future have been sown and will continue to be sown. Our God is a God of the future and promises a productive and joyful future for you and for me. SOTV is a faithful, well-resourced, energized community of faith. An abundant harvest is right around the corner!

But, leave-taking is still hard. As the poem says, God is calling me to an untried way and I will miss SOTV and all of you very much. This September, I will begin serving a church in the Minneapolis Area Synod that has experienced some challenges in leadership. My job will be to listen, to lead, and to serve. The goal is to help the congregation develop a roadmap to move forward in a whole variety of ways. This is not a permanent position, but one that will last for a year or more. Then, I’ll be off to the next place that could use a helping hand. I won’t know where until the opportunity arises.

This sort of strategic interim ministry brings its own particular challenges and opportunities. I’m looking forward to using my experience, skills, and gifts to benefit the church in new ways. I thank SOTV and all of you for affording me the opportunity to become a pastor who can be of such help to other churches. I suppose you could say that I am leaving because God has prepared me to do just this kind of ministry, even though it does bring with it ambiguity and uncertainty about the future. I trust God will provide for my needs and yours. He always has.

Peace in Christ,
Pastor Chris Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment