Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Pastoral Letter on Upcoming Council Action on Same-Gender Marriage: Part 3

This is the third of a four part series. Please also read Part 1, Part 2 and Part 4. Council will vote on its proposed resolution on Thursday, November 21, 2013 at 6:30 p.m. All council meetings are open to the public. If you wish to communicate with council prior to the vote, please e-mail council@sotv.org.

Part 3: Some personal perspectives on same-gender marriage

Pastor Chris Smith
Senior Pastor
I have had a lot of very personal and emotional pastoral conversations lately about same-gender marriage. Where people land on this question has a lot to do with personal experience. As with much in life, it’s often not about what you know; it’s about who you know.

As the congregation dialogues in October took place, I was impressed with the way the Church Council and its president facilitated the dialogues. By offering a few basic ground rules, most of the conversations, with a few exceptions, were caring and respectful. That is remarkable, considering how personal and emotional the topic of same-gender marriage is.

Dialogue participants shared perspectives about same gender marriage based on a variety of things. Some discussed biology and whether sexual orientation was innate or not. Some shared perspectives on sexuality that others had taught them as they had grown up. There was a lot of conversation based on the witness of the Scriptures (I’ll write about that next week). There was also a lot of sharing about personal relationships. People spoke about siblings, co-workers, friends, children, grandchildren, and other relatives who were gay or lesbian. That’s where I want to focus for a moment.

There are at least two impacts from these personal relationships. First, when people discover that someone they care about is gay or lesbian, it can change their perspective. Attitudes about same-gender relationships and marriage tend to shift when people we care about tell us about their homosexual orientation. People also begin to realize in a more concrete way that a person’s sexuality does not define their identity. The knowledge that someone is heterosexual or homosexual reveals absolutely nothing about that person’s identity, talents, gifts, insights, loves, vocation, or hopes. So, one impact I observe is that sometimes attitudes change when family members and friends learn that someone they care about is gay or lesbian. They can change because they love the person and see beyond sexual orientation.

The second impact I have observed when people discover that someone they care about is gay or lesbian, is that it can sometimes place them in a bind. Our perspectives on same-gender marriage come from all sorts of places and those perspectives can result in conflict within us. Someone might believe that the Scriptures prohibit same-gender marriage and yet they may also have a child who is gay or lesbian and wishes to marry. How do they deal with that? Their love and loyalty to that child are at odds with their interpretation of the Bible.

Over the years, I have visited with many families who are suddenly faced with the reality of a child who is gay or lesbian. The impact of this revelation is often to shake up long-held beliefs and sometimes to cause those families to re-assess their convictions. This is not easy stuff. Sometimes the result is an enduring feeling of being conflicted and even alienation within a family. Sometimes families reach a point of acceptance because they are able to see beyond sexual orientation and its implications.

The process that the Church Council and, really, our whole church is working through is also very personal. I know it has been for me. Working on these blogs and having conversations with people from SOTV whom I care about have been good experiences for me. They have made me realize how much I do not yet understand about the whole question of same-gender marriage. I also find myself humbled because I feel that I (along with the council, my colleagues and our whole church) am in a kind of bind as well. I have met with many people for whom I have great respect who are adamantly opposed to same-gender marriage. I have had similar conversations with those who are in favor of it. And, several on both sides have stated that if the council votes one way or the other, they will leave SOTV for other churches, either more progressive or more conservative.

Comments like that concern me. As I said in my second blog, your pastoral staff is dedicated to serving and supporting all the people of this church in the name of Jesus. That individuals or whole households would depart over a matter that is not central to our vision for ministry concerns me because we seek to welcome everyone, whatever your perspective is on the controversial issues of the day. We believe we are one family of faith, bound together by the love of Jesus Christ, and that there is a place for everyone.

One thing I know after being immersed in the question of same-gender marriage for so many months is that what I am writing here is not the last word. It is a beginning word. We do not know what pain or bind our neighbor is in amid the struggles we all share as human beings. Discussions about topics like same-gender marriage reveal our brokenness, our aspirations, and our longing for certainty. When we are dealing with people’s lives, hopes, dreams, and the care we have for one another, things are often less than certain and it is also personal. We need to be careful, loving and respectful in our conversations.

One other thing has become very clear to me, too. Precisely because the question of same-gender marriage is so personal, we will never all fully agree. Take a look at the resolution the church council is considering for its vote. If you do, you will get a sense of how the council has taken this question seriously and personally. The resolution acknowledges the differences among council leaders, and yet also names the unity in mission they seek to exemplify. The resolution also frames the question not as one where there will be winners and losers, but rather as one which gives us a way to move forward together. This has been a significant struggle and cause of anxiety for your council as they have striven to discern the best path and I have been impressed by how transparent they have been when meeting with one another in the past several months. In that context they are trying sincerely to model the potential we have as the people of God to do more together, under our unity in Christ, than we could ever do individually.

See You in Church,

Pastor Chris Smith

P.S.: I have received a few comments asking why the congregation as a whole is not voting on the question of same-gender marriage. There are three main reasons.
  1. This is not a matter central to fulfilling our vision. While this question is briefly taking our attention now, there is much more to be done to invite all to experience the welcome, transformation and sending of Jesus Christ.  
  2. As I said in my second blog, the question of same-gender marriage is really a question of pastoral practice. The council seldom exercises influence on the practice of pastoral staff at SOTV (only in this case, in my recollection). As such, matters of pastoral practice are not really subject to congregational vote. They are subject to pastoral judgment and only occasional council consultation.
  3. On a matter that is so personal, all that a congregational vote would accomplish is to alienate those who end up in the minority. That does not serve the unity of the Body of Christ. 
Please note: All comments made below will be received and reviewed upon submission. Vulgar or offensive commentary will not be posted for public view. You may also send questions or comments to council@sotv.org.

6 comments:

  1. I am the lesbian who posted about blog 1(I am remaining anonymous because I just started a new job and am not out publicly).

    It was an adjustment for my family as well as myself when I came out to them. I think it was even more of an adjustment for some conservative close Christian friends. Both go to churches which teach that homosexual practice is a sin. One of my close friends has really tried to accept me and has met some of my gay friends. The other was condemning, quoting certain Biblical passages.

    Once again, I hope this issue doesn't divide SOTV.

    One question: do different ELCA churches decide this issue (whether their pastors officiate at same-gender marriages) for themselves? I ask because I occasionally attend another ELCA church closer to me and I haven't heard this issue discussed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. The answer to your question is yes. When the ELCA adopted a social statement on sexuality in its 2009 assembly, it gave churches the freedom to come to their own decisions on this issue. As Pastor Chris mentions in part 2, different pastors and different churches have come to different conclusions. Many churches have not discussed the issue simply because of its divisive nature. Let me know if you have any other questions.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Trip.

    As Pastor Chris said above, it is often a struggle for families when a family member comes out. Do SOTV staff know about resources to help these people?

    Some I recommend are:

    1. PFLAG--Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays

    2. At one point St. John Neumann Catholic Church in Eagan had a support group for parents of gay children. I'm not sure if it still does.

    3. Many GLBT teenagers and young people get kicked out of the house or attempt/commit suicide. There may be local organizations to help them (I'm not aware of any). I do know of the Trevor Project which is a hotline that gay youth can call for help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not aware of these resources. Thank you. I will share with my coworkers and staff at a few other churches.

      Delete
  3. Some behaviors are sins as I see it and ,I think,as most others would se them. There is always the exception to the rule--someone attacks me with a loaded gun and I am able to kill that person before he/she kills me, but generally, the rule holds that we treat others in a loving, respectful manner. I think one problem is that we do not have consensual meaning about Jesus' statement re: same sex relationships. I hear many members talking about what the Bible says re: marriage. I understand that it is sacred. I have deep feelings that marriage is a lifetime commitment, worthy of always being willing to engage in dialogue and therapy to find our deeper selves in our marriage struggles. I know this to be absolutely true. What I don't know is whether or not Jesus said that these deep personal, emotional connections that draw us together where we feel that we know we are to express this love also, sexually, were exclusively reserved for heterosexual relationships? I have seen families torn apart by the interpretation of the Bible. Sometimes this depends on the religion the family belongs to. I have seen children suicide because of parents' judgement that they are bad. What I do know, is that in our church, we believe that God makes us all and loves us all equally. This means that whether we are Black, White, Asian, Mexican or some combination yet to be delineated, God is our Father and knows who we are and loves us for who we are. It's very clear to me, that figuring out exactly what God meant at every step of the way is beyond the capacity of even our most learned shepherds of the church. All we can do is do our best and I think that means loving the people we find to be loving towards others. It is not our business to legislate the sexual expression between loving couples. Many heterosexual couples whose unions are blessed in the church engage in sexual practices similar to homosexual couples. But, they do not ask us for our blessings re: their sexual practices. Thank God, that is not part of the marriage vows. The commitment is to love, respect, uphold one another in the eyes of God and do our best to support each other until death do us part. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. If you have a specific question you'd like addressed, you can also e-mail council@sotv.org. Thanks!

      Delete